Sunday, March 20, 2011

Speak Softly, and Carry A Big Stick


This is an African proverb that goes by "speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far". Need I say more in this post? I hope I can "speak softly'" in this post. No guarantee included. In this post I will refer mostly to what I consider what comes first and what comes second. Many people here in Bahrain still live in fear when the night descends on us. Certain broadcasts warn you of hundreds coming to an area near you, wanting your blood, your family's blood and while they are at it, they will attempt to steal your cat or dog to do some devious experimenting on. I say it has gone too far.

I do agree that we need to have security. I just can't understand why the government doesn’t provide it for all of Bahrain. We got children and elderly people who do not deserve to live in such a way. So security is a must, as it is in any peaceful society. What about reconciliation? Isn’t that a priority as important as security? Isn’t it potentially a provider of peace, as in when you reconcile there will be no need for armed gangs in every neighborhood. Sp what do you think should come first? Security is highly important I do agree, I think it should come first, but wait, reconciliation is a priority in such situations to heal a nation and would take up time to achieve so I think it should come first. This is a dilemma, if you need to have one before the other. But what if we could do both at the same time? That is the right answer. On one hand we have a country hounded by lack of security and its acting upon itself, and on the other hand we got a crack the size of the Grand Canyon running in the middle of Bahrain that will need to be healed. These tasks fall squarely on the shoulders of the government, and then the public leaders who have shamefully kept quiet or hiding under their bed sheets while the country is shouting for the voice of reason. These public figures that we have come to cheer and stand behind in thousands and thousands. These public leaders who have stepped forward claiming to be the saviors but have turned out to be the vultures who would prey on the carcass of a dying Bahrain. I'm speaking to both sects in Bahrain when I say this, because both have trusted figures that are not worth their trust and look where we are now. I love music like the next person, but I wouldn’t follow a musician in politics just because he has a sweet voice. This also goes out to the minority of religious leaders who speak well but are empty from inside. Beware of them, for they use religion as a substitute for their failures in politics.

I do carry a big stick (very ugly too), and that is a fact, but I carry it inside my house, patrolling at night so that my mom can sleep that much easier. And I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on whoever would dare pose a threat to my household, be he a Sunni, a Shiite or an extraterrestrial Martian that wants to abduct one of my mom's goats. They would all get to taste my weapon of choice. But that is the point, I am within my rights to defend my home but where is the right for me to run around playing policeman while people increasingly get frustrated? On the other hand I am more than happy to hand over my identification to a policeman or an army soldier who guards my area. I call upon the government to act swiftly to discourage the use of armed gangs and start introducing police and soldiers on every corner if need be. We shouldn’t also forget about reconciliation, we need to have events, seminars, and sermons talking about reconciliation in Bahrain. You all have to understand that you will be working, studying and dealing daily with members of the other sects. We cannot keep on staying at home and deal only with members of our own sect just to feel safe. We cannot divide Bahrain into sectarian areas; actually I don’t think the government can afford that even if it wanted to. I firmly believe that nothing will change in Bahrain politically, but that socially it will be scarred for tens of years if no serious steps take place.

So finally to recap I demand two things for the time being and they should be simultaneous. Security and reconciliation. These can be both initiated by the government and with the help of those wise Bahraini figures from both sects. And to the general public I say do your job in reconciliation and in security but securing your homes, not by intimidating people on the streets. And remember, reconciliation starts within yourself before reconciling with others.

Today I nap (finally).

No comments:

Post a Comment