Friday, March 18, 2011

Epic Nosebleed

I would like to apologize to all my readers and followers for not posting anything during these difficult days, but I guess I'm in the right mind frame now to attempt to write something that have touched me. It seems that anything going on these days in Bahrain is about the recent events, this post is no difference. I assure you all that this post will not appeal to a lot of readers, frankly I care not.

During the past few days we have seen some drastic measures take place in the country. We have seen things that we only witness in news bulletins taking place thousands of miles away. We certainly thought we were invulnerable, silly as that sounds. Now its a lot quieter than the week before, deadly silent that is. The government had to move, public pressure was mounting by the day for more security, Manama was no longer the capital it seemed. All of this was bound to take place one way or another; that did not concern me much as long as it didn’t affect me or my family's security directly. What does concern me is on the day of the military's move to clear up the protesters from the GCC roundabout. During that day I had witnessed one of my saddest days as a living human being. My blackberry and twitter account was filled to the brim with calls for violent action, and I mean VIOLENT. People were actually calling for blood to be spilled in the streets. All of this can be described as "mass bloodlust". There were even more calls for laughter and making jokes of death. Frankly I was sickened.

I have to draw a line as to where I stand. In one word I stand with justice. I have always stood with justice, but "mob justice" is not justice, its chaos. A society that calls itself civil would immediately call for justice in any given situation, regardless of the circumstances. So what if people protested? So what if people tried to march to Riffa? If the state thinks that they are wrong then it's within its rights to persecute those implicated within the established justice system that was set up by their peers. In Bahrain it was the other way around. The police were left shackled and with that the only arm of justice was cut off before justice can even look into the situation. As a result to the mess, we now have little or no civil justice and instead we have military justice. I'm not a lawyer, nor do I have much knowledge of how to operate within the confines of the law, but I do realize the concept of law, and the call for blood is not justice. When did we turn into savages? This question goes to both spectrums of the mess. I guess the answer would be when the government, religious, and public leaders kept quiet. That was the biggest fault or crack in the wall. Our government and public figures did not have the experience to realize that, if left to themselves, people will act faster than they can contain, and in most cases its violent action. It was extremely sad how people were happy at the thought of witnessing dead people; do those people realize that this is not a zombie movie? Do they realize that all of those who died are human being, not invading aliens? Do they realize that those who got hurt did actually get hurt both physically and mentally and not just had a nosebleed? Do they realize that those who died had families of their own or were at some point someone's baby boy (since all of those who died were men)? More importantly do they realize that this was certainly not a barbeque?

I have to admit that writing this post is proving to be more difficult than I realized, but I have to conclude somewhere. I guess that first I have to send my condolences to the families of those who fell victim to the recent sad events. Blood spilled for politics is wasted blood indeed. Secondly I would like for my readers to look back at what they have felt during those past few days and think, key word is think individually not within the mob. Last but not least, I have to remind people that this is far from a simple nosebleed; this is a scar that can only heal with reconciliation.

No comments:

Post a Comment